Saturday 5 December 2015

A word on databases



As part of my doctoral work I have needed to create a database.

This did not go well. 


I suspect part of the problem is that I am not a terribly logically minded individual, and after attending a two-day course aimed at students from all backgrounds run by my university and a week of staring at a computer screen I had made little tangible progress.

So, like any good procrastinator, I decided to leave it and pick it up when I felt like I had more time. 

…fast forward 3 years…

What I thought I would do today was share was the gems of three years of avoiding not being able to write a database.  
  
1. Don’t use MS Word.

If I had used MS Excel my life would have been a lot easier. I didn’t completely abandon the project, I did gather the data for the database, but if I’d gathered it in Excel I would have saved myself a lot of time later when I actually had a database to work with.

2. A ) Go find someone who has worked with databases.
    B ) If they’re a historian, doubly go find them

This is the more important of my two lessons. I was slightly in denial about actually having to create a database and hoped that my Word doc. would see me through (feel free to chuckle derisively at this point). I had the good fortune to be put in contact however with a fellow researcher who had spent 4 years working with a database who very kindly took pity on me and knocked me one together.

3. Find a course aimed at historians, not a general one.

Not everyone database-challenged may have the luck I had however, and my helper/saviour/colleague recommended this course run by the IHR:

The course I attended was excellent, but I struggled to convert what I’d been taught into something I could use with my historical data. A simple google quickly brings up the IHR course, along with many others. 

They’re not hard to find, but if you don’t look for them – you don’t know they’re there!

Free handbook on designing historical databases:

How to, historical database tutorial:


Notes
A big thank you to Sam Gibbs who put me right on databases:

No comments:

Post a Comment