Saturday 21 June 2014

Ditches and monastic river planning

Today I am writing about the diversion of the River Thames at Abingdon through one of the meadows of the abbey in the twelfth century.

This was done at the bequest of the citizens of Oxford who wanted a faster and safe way of travelling upstream as previously they had to navigate through shallow waters near Barton Court. This diversionary route eventually became known as 'Swift Ditch', a name which denotes the usefulness of this route along this important river.



"Monks' Map",16th century map produced during a property dispute (Abingdon museum)


As I sit here resisting the urge to procrastinate on the book of face, it never ceases to amaze me the sheer tenacity and drive of people during the middle ages (yes people from all ages have achieved feats of daring do, but let me have my medieval obsession). The effort it must have been (and the cost) to carve out a whole new channel by hand was some feat. I've no idea how long it took, but I silently applaud the people of the past.

It also amuses me that people don't really change. People then, and now, dislike having to go the long way round. 'Swift Ditch' was essentially the medieval equivalent of the M6 toll.


Extra:
For more on 'Monks Map':
Steane, J. "The Abingdon Monks Map" (Oxoniensia, 2008), pp. 17-32
http://oxoniensia.org/volumes/2008/steane.pdf

2 comments:

  1. I'm writing about the January 1644/5 battle at Culham Bridge and would very much like to use the very clear little map that you've used here. Do you know who owns it? I'd be grateful for information. Many thanks, Martin Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin, I'm really sorry but I cannot for the life of me think where I got this from. I've gone through all my research notes to no success and I've tried every google search I can think of to try and find the map again.

    ReplyDelete