Saturday 19 March 2016

Patrologia Latina

I've missed a couple of weeks of blogs now - but for a good reason!

I'm in the process of putting together a first draft of my thesis which has resulted in much editing and rewriting, but little new research. No new research, means no new blogs. However, I do have an useful source to share with the interwebs and a nifty MS image.

The source is the Patrologia Latina which is essentially a source book for early church texts. It exists in physical form in many, many volumes or in searchable form via a subscription database (my nearest subscribing library is the Bodleian).

When chasing a single reference however, an online edition would be more helpful. Never fear! This wonderful website lists multiple sources for each volume:

http://patristica.net/latina/

You're welcome.


"Two women attempting to catch flying hearts", British Library, Stowe MS 955, f. 13r 

This image is in a collection of 16th century love poems and no, I'm not really sure why the ladies are capturing winged hearts. It's a lovely image though isn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment